Thursday 11 October 2007

GOODIES AND AN OLD QUILT

At the beginning of the week, I found this in my letter box, it is from Samantha. I had won at her September drawing. She sent me some unknown-to-me magazines and a nice card. Thank you Samantha, this is inspiration for sure!



Anne-Ida showed in her last post a quilt she had made a while ago using a block-cutting method and that reminded me that I had made something similar. Anne-Ida´s blocks are made of many stripes, mine just out of three but the rest is the same. 2 squares cut on the two diagonals and then rearranged to form a cross are needed to make one block.


And this is the result:

I used for this quilt a pack of not-so-nice-flower fabrics I wanted to get rid of, added a border of small squares on point and a border of flying geese with tiny baskets in the corners. I then quilted it by hand.


This week, school started again after the autumn break and I didn´t have that much time to sew. I just managed to get some AMC ready from a Moda charm pack I had bought some time ago. it was the first time I purchased a charm pack and I am happy so far at what I could get out of it. I made some hexagon pouches, those cards and there is still quite a lot left. I love scraps!


Last week-end, we had a very nice time with our friends in the countryside. We didn´t drive cows at the end but we picked up mushrooms, went to a nice apple market and made a bonfire. All things we don´t have in a big city.

It is really getting cold here but still the sun is shining. I hope the weather stays like that for the week-end so that we can go outside and enjoy.

Have a nice week-end as well.

14 comments:

Anne said...

Hello your Ds here, how come you have all this time to do all these things and you haven't had a chance to make my cushions yet, oh I don't know, get your priorities right!!
Love Anne

Joyce said...

I just love the way the stripes make a cross. I 'll have to give that a try someday. I really like blocks that are whacked apart and sewn together to make something entirely different. I've never seen this one before.

Jeanne said...

I think the block resembles a baseball diamond! Very cute.

Libby said...

Now that just a snappy little block *s* Isn't it fun to make something so lovely out of fabrics that don't start out as your favorites?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh very fun block and method! And your quilt you made using it turned out wonderful!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Lovely postcards, your quilting is divine! Well done, Gwen! The quilt block is clever, too.

tami said...

That looks like a fun block. I like that technique. It's so simple, but makes such and interesting block.

Bea said...

Great block. Haven´t seen THIS quilt from you! Can´t remember this lovely quilt! A cute cutting method, I know this with many stripes like Anne Ida shows. But I love your design with just three. I´ll try this one day.....
Happy quilting.

Anne Ida said...

Hi! That quilt looks great! Thank you for sharing! I've never done that pattern with less than five strips, and have wondered how it would look with three... Now I know :o) Hope you have a great sunday!

Chookyblue...... said...

great block and love the quilt..........I have saved it to try later.........

Carole said...

What a neat block! Love your projects! Sometimes we are surprised by the quilt we created with fabric we were not fond of! Keep well and thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

It's wonderful how your quilt came out. Love the flying geese border you did.

Patch said...

love the quilt - hand quilting it must have been exhausting. i have a 1930s quilt top that i am thinking about hand quilting , but am too scared to try.

Andrea said...

I love this little block - really pretty ! Could you tell us sizes you used for this please ?