Saturday 31 March 2007

Scrap quilt







A quick post today, nothing much going on on the quilting front, the weather is good and the garden needs attention.



I will show still a scrap quit I made 2 years ago as an attempt to empty my scrap basket. All the blocks and the small squares were made from it. I only bought the background fabric. It is machine sewed and hand quilted.



Its name is " L´art d´accommoder les restes" which was the name of a recipe book I got as a university student. It was a very interesting book with on each page a main recipe and a second recipe to use the left-overs of the main recipe. Clever and for a student very useful; you know purse tight, money needed to buy books and so forth. Anyway I thought the name was fitting for a scrap quilt!


Thank you all for leaving so nice comments on my blog. It is wonderful to hear from people from allover the world and to see their beautiful works too. I have been blogging for 2 months now and I wonder how I did without before! I wouldn´t want to miss you!

18 comments:

Diana said...

Hi Gwen, Very pretty quilt--and it just goes to show what we can do with scraps. I love the title. I just wish someone had given me that book when I was a starving student!

atet said...

Isn't it amazing what you can do with "leftovers" (and I must say, it sounds so much better in French than it does in American). What a beautiful quilt and a wonderful blog.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh this is a beautiful quilt! I absolutely love it! I"m doing some swap blocks right now and am thinking this might be the perfect setting for them! Thank you for sharing it!

Gail said...

That's a wonderful quilt-it is so hard to look at my scrap basket and see them working into something as lovely as yours.

Cynthia said...

what a lovely quilt. I like the layout you used. I also like the name you gave the quilt.

Patti said...

What a perfect scrap quilt - and a perfect title! I have a bunch of little 4" blocks I got in an exchange - this would be a delightful way to set them together!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I noticed that you said "in an attempt to empty my scrap basket"... did you? The quilt is gorgeous!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I haven't decided yet about the charms, I'll accumulate many more before I make a choice. I havelots of unfinished quilts to keep me busy until then! ;)

CONNIE W said...

I like scrappy quilts. The photos are great.

Carol said...

This is absolutely magnificent. It looks so old worldish, an heirloom, like it's been around for hundreds of years. Now that's the beauty in a quilt isn't it. To obtain that look. Absolutely gorgeous.

Chookyblue...... said...

Great quilt. Pleased you posted a pic. Do we ever really need to buy so much material when so much can be done with a scrap stash.
How do you decide on the name. I have trouble with giving them names.

Rose Marie said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! This setting would be good for orphan blocks as well for using up a bit of scraps. Is your scrap bin any smaller after completing this quilt?

tami said...

Bautiful quilt. I sent the link to a friend who had been looking for a cool setting for her Dear Jane blocks.

Linda C said...

Gwen, what a lovely quilt. I agree with atet when she said that the name you gave it sounded much better (maybe more romantic?)in French. Well done!

Anne Ida said...

This is a true gem! I'm sure it will turn into an heirloom in your family. Thank you for sharing the picture and the story of it's name :o)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful !

Helen in the UK said...

Love this quilt and your hand quilting is awesome :)

Unknown said...

This is one of your older posts, Gwen, but while catching up on my reading, this quilt caught my eye. What a wonderful way to showcase small blocks! This might just be my inspiration for finishing my Midget blocks. Great job!